✿islandgurl

✿islandgurl

Thursday, April 19, 2012

"I love♡ my Okole Kicking Hills"

Here is half way up one of my favorite hills I love to run. I'm taking a picture looking down what I have just climbed. Next picture is the remaining half of the 2.5 mile hill I have left to climb. On this that past Tuesday April 17 it was a hot sunny day and I took short minuet break at this point relieve my quads from the lactic acid build up from climbing the hill and was able to take a few pictures here to show in my blog post. My ipod wasn't working so I brought my iphone so I could still have my favorite tunes for my run and while running I realized I could take some pictures to capture my run and this beautiful, okole kicking hill I so love to run.
Looking up at my steep okole kicking hill and the remaining climb for my two dog and I is about a mile up and goes up pretty steep from this point. The hill curves to the right as it continues up so it was hard to capture it all in  in this picture. As I climb it curves a lot up and at any point I can turn around to see the beautiful ocean behind me and if I happen to run at sunset I am present to watch a beautiful Hawaiian sunset at the top of any one of my hills. My two dogs, Bear and Sammy take advantage and rest in the shade as I stop for a minuet to take these pictures and of course relieve my Quads of the built up lactic acid in them. When then continue on and up!

Here is the main hill that goes 3 miles up my subdivision and I live at half way point just about 100 yards from where I took this picture as I am ending my 5 mile run. When I start I come out and climb up this hill about a 1/2 mile up before I take a right turn in the subdivision to get the other 2.5 mile long hills that kick my okole hard! I always change my runs around and the amount of miles I run so my body doesn't get used to any course I run. I of course run less miles when I lift weights the same day and save the longer, brutal five mile runs for days I am not lifting. I also do my interval sprint runs on these different running courses to keep my body guessing. I like to end my run with walking lunges and will do them up hill as well as flat ground to again never let my body adapt to any set workout I do. Hot sunny days like this day make it tougher, but I do love things to be tougher and a challenge for me so I never shy away from a sunny day. It does make it harder on my dogs when it's a hot, sunny day, so on those sunny days I have shade spots to take my dogs for a minuet to let them recoup. Most days in the early afternoon there is a nice cloud cover on the mountain where I live so I take advantage of that when I run which makes it easier on my dogs and I don't have to stop. The hot sun can be tough to run in but on those chosen sunny, hot days I will make adjustments to my run and run a shorter distance. I do tend to have weird strength when I run in the sun...go figure as it can be very brutal, but I don't like my dogs to have to endure running it the brutal sun as I do so stopping for shade a few times during my run is a must or I will wait for the cloud cover which most days comes like clock work. I will end this blog post by saying... The cloud cover has just arrived and the road and hills are calling my name... Off to run!   

2 comments:

conelytompson said...

Amazing. Great Piece. Breat Article. You catch the cross country experience. This should be required reading.Alaways figured that maybe running nder the sun helps sweat the impurities out. These Photoes show that to the hill to make it into the'Brutal' category.Gusto and Approval and Applause on this Article!!!

conelytompson said...

You are one tough cookie!That hill is long and decently steep. And in that tropical heat and humidity, without sweat evaporating,a certain level of risk from heat prostration.Hill running as an Extreme Sport...