✿islandgurl

✿islandgurl

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Kids Follow Their Parent's Lead

You’re bummed that your kid decided not to try out for the soccer team. Instead, he's sitting on the couch watching TV and eating cookies or playing video games. Are your kids just lazy? Think again. You may actually be the one to blame for their inactivity. We as parents need to be that great example in everything for our children and being fit is no different. It can make a big difference in their lives if they are shown how to take care of their bodies the right way.

According to a studies, young girls age 8-10 years old choose their activities based on the interests of their parents. Yes, that means that since you’re in the habit of sitting your lazy butt down on the couch after work, your kid may be falling into the same unhealthy routine too. Young girls it's especially crucial for parents show them a better way to obtain that thin body they so strive for at a early age. We need to show them that their is a right way to get there and teach them how to take care of their bodies by exercising and eating right. If more parents did this and took an active role in their children being fit it could lower the amount of young girls falling in to bad habits which seems to always develop in to a eat disorder. I was adamant that this not happen to my daughter and I always made sure she felt confident about her body image and know she had total control of it and always would. Our children learn this from us as parents and we need to take it more seriously and not let them down in this very important area.

 
According to the same study, gender also plays a significant role in which activities your child is going to engage in. In other words, girls are more likely to engage in sports if their mother also does, rather than if their father was involved. However, that doesn’t get you dads off the hook. Girls were more likely to continue their involvement if their father was interested in the activity too. When I was young even before my teens my dad would take me to the high school track in the afternoons to run with him. It was not only fun to be with my dad it was how I started to enjoy running and making exercise a part of my life for long term even at such a young age. It was such a good feeling I was always chasing that great feeling I got from working out. It came to my attention much later when I found out I was chasing those wonderful endorphins.


Now all grown with kids of my own I passed on what my dad did for me at a young age and I got my daughter to start running in her early teens with me. She was addicted to it as well and she even got good enough to almost run faster than her mom some days. I rarely let her finish ahead of me because I wanted her to push hard and wake up that competitiveness inside her. Some days she really pushed me without knowing she did. I loved seeing her want to be fit and love making exercise part of her daily routine. She grew up in the gym and at bodybuilding, fitness shows so I had no doubt that she would want to make being fit a part of her life as I do.

My son I waited till he was old enough to lift weights without hurting his growth and around 14 we started to train together. He too was raised in the weight room and remembers all to well waiting for his mom to finish lifting while he played in the kids room or waiting area. He loved when he was old enough to sit in the front waiting area so he could watch me lift and see all the gym action. Now his 17 and has three years of lifting in him and he loves it. I started collecting gym equipment early on so he could have a weight room in our home to lift when ever he wanted. We have added a lot to the weight room since he started lifting with me and he has been consistently committed to working out with me and even on his own. I am proud to see him commit to his training and find the motivation within himself to push and keep training with or without me pushing him.

In helping our children at a young age the importance of being fit and taking care of their body we give them a life time gift.Being role models ourselves so they can see we take it seriously too.Pushing and motivation our children in being fit also in turn pushes and motivations us to keep going for our own fitness as well as theirs. Inspire and have fun in challenging your children and let them challenge you too. Challenge them to be more than just normal. Help and guide them to be "Great" the best they can be.
 

No comments: