✿islandgurl

✿islandgurl

Friday, August 24, 2012

"Are You Undereating?"

Sure, overeating is a big problem for many people, but chronic undereating may be an even bigger problem. Most people get caught up in the idea that the less they eat, the more they’ll lose. But, unfortunately, the body is a bit more complicated than that.The problem with severe calorie restriction is that it sends your hormones out of whack.  When you try to speed up weight loss by skipping meals or by eating extremely small portions, the body begins to think it’s starving, and ultimately you get the exact opposite effect of what you’re working so hard for. Fat-burning hormones plunge, and fat-maintaining hormones spike in order to hold onto the fat you’re trying to lose as a survival mechanism
I can admit this happens to be one of my problems that I fail to eat enough food, and knowing that I have to really stay on top of myself or I will easily slip into not eating enough calories for my body to be satisfied. I feel it comes from having suffered from anorexia and it's and aftermath that even after many years it sticks with you. Just like an alcoholic or drug user when they have become clean, but they will always have to be careful not to slip back and will still be called Alcoholic or user even if they have been clean for 20 years. It's sad to think of it that way, but it's reality and for me it's never done deliberately or knowingly yet it happens sometimes and comes the disease. Just like people who over-eat there are used to eating a lot and it's easy for them to do if they aren't careful or aware of it being a problem. Mine happens to be not eating enough and I work on it daily so that it doesn't effect my body. I do fall short some days as I am sure many do, but if you're aware of the negative effect it has on your body you can take steps to make sure you feed your body enough food each day to keep it happy and burning those calories off.

Remember this: The fastest fat loss always comes with moderate calorie restriction. For most women, that means consuming somewhere around 1,500 calories daily, give or take. Keep your body happy with adequate calories and you’ll really begin to see the scale drop.
 

2 comments:

Hanging out in First Grade said...

I had the "undereating" problem!! It took ALOT of convincing from my husband that it was actually have a BAD effect on my weight loss. It took awhile for me to believe him ;) but he was right!
Hey! I sent an email to you not sure if you recieved it. Thank you! Monica

✿islangurl said...

Aloha Monica

I will check my email and respond to you.. if you don't hear back from me re-send to me.. my email is islandgurl_10@yahoo.com

I'm happy you listen to your husband because he was right. It does hurt you because your body goes in to survival mode and holds on to everything in fear of not getting feed again. So, to keep your body from going in to survival mode you need to keep feeding yourself enough food and more often. Never let 4 hours go by without some a meal or small snack. 3-4 hours between meals and snacks is perfect to keep your body burning, and make sure it's enough calories throughout the day. Mahalo for you message =) Debra